Western North Carolina is home to over 250 beautiful waterfalls, making it one of the best destinations for waterfall enthusiasts in the United States. It's no wonder that our area is known as the "Land of Waterfalls".
Some of the most popular waterfalls in the area include:
Some fun facts about area waterfalls:
- Triple Falls was featured in the movie "The Hunger Games". Several scenes were filmed at Triple Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and the covered bridge at High Falls.
- At 411 feet high, Whitewater Falls is the highest waterfall in the eastern United States.
- Sliding Rock is a natural waterslide. It's 60 feet high and is wildly popular during the summer months.
- Hooker Falls has a wonderful swimming hole at it's base.
- It's easy to enjoy viewing Looking Glass Falls, with no hiking. You can see it from the top observation deck, just off the the road in Pisgah Forest, or you can take the steps to the base of the falls to experience its thunderous power. At 65 feet high and 35 feet wide, it's a must-see waterfall.
There are also several hiking trails and scenic drives that offer stunning views of the waterfalls and the surrounding natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains.